Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Another Fine Mess

Well, you'd never know it by reading the daily newspaper or listening to the broadcast news or (gag) cable news, but the Bush era is exploding in a dizzying array of scandal. It's hard to know where to begin, so I won't. I'll add some links to other blogs who cover it much better than I possibly could such as Talking Points Memo, Glenn Greenwald, and Hullabaloo. There are many, many more, but I'll let you find those.

The first cynical thought that jumps into my mind, harking back to the (wink wink, elbow in the ribs) Clinton "bimbo eruptions," is "scandal eruptions." And the word on the street is that you ain't seen nuthin yet! Couldn't happen to a nicer group of creeps.

This now seems to involve the entire Repugnican experience...Congress, the Executive and of course the owners of the above, the Corporate Elites. I thought that I was pretty well jaded after living though the JFK assassination, Vietnam, Watergate, Iran hostages, Reaganomics and the right wing rabies epidemic during the Clinton administration, but I stand humbled. I am daily flabbergasted by the latest news from the front lines.

There appears to be no depth to which they won't descend. The chutzpah of Rumsfeld staring into the camera lens saying, "I'm not a liar," harks back to Nixon's, "I'm not a crook." Now we find out after Goss resigned from the CIA this week, that we've got "Hookergate." Apparently "the Dukestir's" defense contractor friends provided limousines, prostitutes and suites in (where else?) the Watergate complex in Washington. I've read that for these paragons of the anti-gay Right even may have enjoyed the services of male prostitutes. Just when you thought that this bunch had hit bottom, something else comes along that blows that bar away.

So fasten your seat belt, stow your tray tables in their original upright position and enjoy the turbulence.

No comments: